Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Polioencephalo---what?!?!

Polioencephalomalacia. That's what.

Ya. I had no idea what it was either...until the pygmy goat, Bailey, got it yesterday.

I went out to check on the goats like I do everyday and I saw her in the shed with an arched back and shaking. Immediately I called Chrissy (our fabulous vet-aunt). She had me give her 10 aspirin because it seemed like she was in pain, but she was on her way to an appointment so she would call me back.

After another conversation, Chrissy (had while her arm was literally inside a horse...now that is dedication ladies and gentlemen!) said Bailey had a vitamin B1 deficiency. By that time Bailey could not stand upright, she was convulsing and screaming. I didn't know it at the time, but she was also temporarily blind.

All I had to get was injectable B1 supposedly available at the feed store. I went to every feed store in Sierra Vista. Apparently there is not a big enough goat population here for feed stores to carry it. Also there is no human use so no pharmacy carries it. Small animal vets don't have it on hand either.

Chrissy calls a prescription to All Creatures Veterinary Services in Benson. I just have to go pick it up. Well, Benson is 35 minutes away and I currently have NINE children under the age of nine at the house.

As soon as the additional kids were picked up I loaded my kids into the car and went to Benson. Unfortunately, Bailey had been left to convulse for several hours. I was going out several times an hour to pick her up, as ruminants cannot lie on they sides for extended periods of time without...well, I'm not sure what, but I know its bad!! I propped her up between cinder blocks and the shed wall.

A hefty dose of B1 almost 6 hours after I first noticed her odd behavior, then 2 more doses over the following 12 hours has greatly improved her condition. She is still limping but I think that might have to do with muscle strain from hours of seizure-like activity. We still have to figure out what caused this, but that can be dealt with later.

I did learn 2 valuable lessons through this situation: 1) A livestock first aid kit is a necessity. We do not have one and that is a danger to our animals. That will be being rectified ASAP! 2) Farming is a community endeavor. Living in a community with like-minded people, with like-minded priorities makes this lifestyle much easier. Moving out of Sierra Vista and away from "city folks" is quickly climbing our priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment